History of Monticello First United Methodist Church
1809 - A lot was deeded by the commissioners of the City of Monticello to the Trustees of the Monticello Methodist Episcopal Church. No church building was constructed as meetings were held in member's homes and under brush arbors.
1828 - First church building constructed. Monticello is part of a ten church circuit.
1895 - Monticello appears in records as a station church. The Circuit church, built in 1828, was torn down and a new church built on the same lot. Mr. John Davidson drew the plans. The cost was $3,500. Rev. J.B. Allen was the first pastor.
1898 - The new church was dedicated on November 13, 1898. Dr. C.E. Dowman preached the sermon.
1927 - Sunday School room was added. Rev. J.L. Hall was pastor.
1928-32 - During the pastorate of Rev. J.O. Brand, the Men's Bible Class room was built in the basement.
1935 - The sanctuary was remodeled, made more beautiful and worshipful with memorial windows, chandelier, pipe organ and chimes.
1957 - The present church site on College Street was purchased.
1958 - Ground was broken to begin construction on the College Street site.
1960 - The congregation held the last worship service in this building on the first Sunday in Jan. Rev. Burch Fannin preached the sermon.
1960-67 - Worship services were held in current fellowship hall.
1967 - Current sanctuary completed with the Rev. Horace Couch as pastor.
1980 - Current sanctuary unencumbered by debt and dedicated during the pastorate of Rev. Jan Devereaux.
1989 - Chapel added.
2005-06 - Playground added, parking area expanded, chimes added.
In many different venues the First United Methodist Church of Monticello has changed through the last two centuries, been faithful to the call of the gospel and to the greater mission of the United Methodist Church.